This page was designed for view with the newer family of browsers. Please pardon the unstyled format of this page.

Office of the University Registrar

2005-06 Undergraduate Catalog

Academic Policies

College of Agricultural and Life Science



First-semester freshmen at the university will be admitted to the college when they declare a major. At that time, their college classification will become AG (Agricultural and Life Sciences), FY (Forestry) or NE (Natural Resources and Environment). Students will maintain the AG, FY or NE classification as long as they continue to meet or to exceed the tracking criteria for the major.

Students who fall below the minimum progression standards will not be allowed to continue in the major. These students must meet with an academic adviser within the college to determine an alternative major.

Students Other Than Freshmen

All UF students other than first-semester freshmen must apply to a major in this college. Students will be admitted to the major if they meet or exceed the universal-tracking criteria. Performance in and completion of courses in math, biology, chemistry and physics during the first four semesters are the primary criteria for admission to a major. Other admission requirements vary by major.

All applicants must have completed two sequential courses of foreign language in secondary school or 8-10 semester hours at the postsecondary level, or document an equivalent level of proficiency.

Students should contact the undergraduate adviser for their major when they are admitted to the college. They should complete the course requirements for the major in the semester designated in the catalog and on their degree-tracking audits.

Juniors and seniors should have completed all courses listed for the first four semesters of their curriculum. Any student who has not completed these courses must do so the first semester of the junior year.

College policy requires each student to consult a faculty adviser each term before registering to ensure that appropriate courses are taken in the appropriate sequence. The college monitors this policy by examining each studentís schedule after registration. Students who do not enroll in appropriate courses will not be allowed to register the following term.

Readmission to the College

CALS students who have been dismissed from the university for poor academic performance can petition UF and the college for readmission after one semester.


A transfer student from a Florida public community college must have an Associate of Arts degree (or 60 hours for students transferring from private institutions, four-year institutions or institutions outside of Florida) and satisfy the admission requirements for the intended major to be eligible for admission to the college. Community college students should consult an adviser to ensure completion of the required courses for admission to UF, the college and the major.

Transfer students from other universities and non-Florida public community colleges should complete the first two yearsí requirements for the major before transferring to UF and to this college.

Student Responsibility

Students are expected to assume full academic responsibility for registering for and completing the proper courses and for fulfilling all requirements for the degree. Students must consult their advisers each semester to plan and to get approval for their courses.

College Probation

A student whose overall grade point average falls below 2.0 is placed on college probation. The associate dean will notify the student that he/she is on probation and must remove all deficit points in two semesters or face college suspension.

During college suspension, a student cannot register as a College of Agricultural and Life Sciences student.

College Retention Program

The College of Agricultural and Life Sciences works individually with students on college probation to provide them an opportunity for academic success at the university. The retention program identifies obstacles that could prevent academic success, provides structure and mechanisms for success and connects students to administrators, faculty and staff who are committed to helping them.

Critical-Tracking Criteria

Students who do not complete the appropriate number of tracking courses each semester will have a hold placed on their record to prevent advance registration. They must meet with an adviser and agree to enroll in the appropriate tracking courses the following semester.

Drop Policy

Students can drop courses during the drop/add period without penalty. Thereafter, courses can be dropped only by college petition in accordance with the deadlines. Drops requiring college petition are subject to the following rules:

  • After the universityís drop deadline, students must petition the associate dean of the college.
  • Students who withdraw from UF (drop all courses) must go to the Dean of Students Office, Peabody Hall, Room 202, to meet with an adviser.

General Education

Courses that satisfy General Education requirements are listed by category. In some cases, the courses listed do not complete the General Education requirement and students must take another course. The courses listed represent the most expedient way to fulfill graduation requirements. However, students can satisfy degree requirements with alternative course sequences.

Students should evaluate their current chemistry skills before registering for chemistry courses with a short Chemistry Readiness Assessment (CHRA).

A Calculus Readiness Assessment (CRA) also is available for students to evaluate their math skills.

The college requires all students to complete an oral and written communication requirement in addition to the General Education requirements. In majors where an equivalency is permitted, students should see their advisers for approved alternative courses. When majors list specific courses, students must select courses from the list.


By prior arrangement with an adviser and with supervision, a student may receive credit for practical work experience relevant to the major. Credit is earned at the rate of one credit per month of full-time work and cannot exceed three credits in any combination of work experience. A written report must be submitted before a (S or U) grade will be issued. Academic units offering this option list the course number 4941. Minimum criteria and general guidelines are available from the undergraduate coordinator for the major.

College Honors Program

The CALS honors program is for junior/senior-level students who have completed 60 or more hours and have a 3.5 or higher overall GPA.

The honors program builds upon existing courses in the required curriculum. Courses on the transcript are identified with an honors designation. Students who complete the program successfully are designated college honors scholars.

All participants must complete the Honors Colloquium, ALS 4921, a college-wide course that satisfies the writing component required by the college (AEE 3033C, ENC 2210, ENC 3250, ENC 3310, ENC 3312 or MMC 2100). The colloquium is offered each semester.

In addition, two classes approved in the major must carry an honors designation. These courses can be current honors courses or regular courses enhanced by an honors contract. With approval of the honors program coordinator, graduate-level courses can also qualify as honors courses.

Students in the program who have the necessary grade point average and a desire to graduate magna cum laude or summa cum laude must complete a research project or creative work. Honors projects encompass teaching, research and extension activities and can include any creative activity with an objective and an expected outcome.

Students who are not in the CALS honors program still can graduate with honors recognitions. For additional information, contact the honors program coordinator.

Deanís List