This page was designed for view with the newer family of browsers. Please pardon the unstyled format of this page.

Office of the University Registrar

Registrar Services
Registrar Services

2007-08 Undergraduate Catalog

Contact Information
Academic Policies
Degree Requirements
Course Description Lookup


This section summarizes requirements for admission to the various tracks in the bachelor of health science program in the College of Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP).

Requirements vary for the different preprofessional career interests of students within the health science program. Thus, applicants should contact an academic adviser in the college to ensure appropriate academic planning. Premedical, predental and preveterinary students are also encouraged to contact the pre-health adviser located in the Academic Advising Center. Pre-physician assistant students are encouraged to contact the PA adviser (352-265-7955). All students also should review the relevant program admission requirements for their specific discipline at the graduate/professional level.

UF Freshmen and Sophomores: Students can declare a major in one of the collegeís undergraduate programs upon admission to the university. Progression standards include courses completed and cumulative and tracking GPA.

Meeting minimum standards as freshmen and sophomores does not guarantee admission to the junior year within the college because space is limited. In order to be considered in the applicant pool for admission at the junior level, students must meet the requirements listed below. In addition, all students must submit a college application.

UF Juniors and Seniors: Students are eligible to be considered for admission once they meet the following criteria:

  • Earned at least 60 semester hours of acceptable college credit with an overall average GPA of 3.0 or higher for health science and 2.7 or higher for rehabilitative services on all college/university-level work attempted.
  • Completed all critical-tracking course work with the required GPA. (Critical- tracking courses are listed in the programs of study section that follows.)
  • Passed all sections of the College Level Academic Skills Test.
  • Fulfilled the university-wide General Education requirements described in the Academic Advising section of this catalog. The specific course sequences in the programs of study section indicate how to fulfill these requirements while planning careers in public health and health professions.
  • Completed all writing and math requirements.
  • Submitted a college application.
  • Completed all requirements by the end of Spring for Summer B admission or by the end of Summer A for Fall admission consideration.

Back to Top

Transfer Students

Florida community college students must have:

  • Received the A.A. degree.
  • Completed all critical-tracking course work with the required GPA (3.0 health science/pre-occupational therapy; 2.7 rehabilitative services).
  • Passed all sections of the College Level Academic Skills Test.
  • Completed 60 semester hours of transferable college-level credit with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher for health science and 2.7 or higher for rehabilitative services.
  • Submitted a college and a UF application (two separate applications).

Students attending four-year colleges must have:

  • Followed a program of general education comparable to the curriculum for freshmen and sophomores outlined for each program.
  • Completed General Education, writing, math and CLAST requirements comparable to UF's requirements.
  • Completed 60 semester credit hours (or 96 quarter hours) that can be accepted as transfer credit. (Refer to transfer credit policy.)
  • Submitted a college and university application (separate applications).

Transfer Credit: All junior- and senior-level core course work must be taken at UF. Transfer credit is not allowed. Undergraduate 3000-4000 level credit taken at four-year institutions is allowed for general electives with the approval of the program director.

Special Admission Requirements

In addition to specific GPA and course work requirements, health science, pre-OT, and rehabilitative services require evidence of commitment to the field. Students are encouraged to volunteer in a human services field to demonstrate this commitment. An interview may be required for admission to the college.

Back to Top

Application Materials: Application materials for all undergraduate programs. Students must apply to the college to be considered for admission to the junior year. Non-UF students also must apply to the College of PHHP and to UF. These are separate applications. Students with questions should contact the deanís office and speak with an adviser.

Application Deadlines: The Bachelor of Health Science program admits twice per year (summer B and fall) for all tracks. The application deadline for Summer B admission is February 1; the application deadline for fall admission is March 1. After the deadlines have passed, student applications are considered on a space-available basis.

Student Selection: Admission to the college at the junior level is selective. Satisfaction of minimum GPA and course requirements does not guarantee admission to the junior level because enrollment is limited. A studentís total record, including educational objectives, courses completed, quality of academic record and application essay are considered when evaluating an applicant for admission.

Double Majors/Dual Degrees

The college does not offer a double major. However, students can receive a B.H.S. degree with dual emphases in health science and rehabilitative services noted on the transcript. Students interested in this option should check the dual emphases option on their application for admission to the junior year. Students must meet the prerequisite requirements of both program tracks to be eligible.

Students in the College of Public Health and Health Professions can pursue an additional degree outside of the college and students from other colleges can consider a dual degree within the College of Public Health and Health Professions, with permission of both colleges. Students are eligible to apply for the dual degree after they have completed 45 credit hours and before completion of 96 credit hours. Students must meet the necessary curricular requirements for both degrees.


The College of Public Health and Health Professions offers three minors: health science, rehabilitative services and public health. These minors are open to students in any college at the university if the student has completed the prerequisites with the required GPA. Students interested in a minor can obtain an application form and a course list from the deanĎs office (HPNP, Room 4104A).

S-U Option

The S-U option is not permitted for required prerequisite or major courses. However, it can be used for electives.

Back to Top

Academic Probation/Off Track Students

Students who do not make sufficient progress toward program completion are considered to be off track. Off-track status means the student has not met all tracking criteria for the designated term. Students who are off track can be placed on probation. The purpose of probation is to develop a plan to help the student return to good academic standing. Off-track students can be dismissed from the college based on the collegeís policy below.

Freshmen and Sophomores: Freshmen and sophomores can be off track for one of two reasons: low GPA or missing or incomplete grades in prerequisite or major courses.

    - and/or -
  • All students who are off track at the end of any semester are required to meet with an academic adviser in the college to determine the steps needed to get back on track. This meeting must occur before the next semester begins, and it is the studentís responsibility to schedule this meeting. If the student fails to meet with an adviser before the next semester begins, the student can be dismissed from the college.

  • The academic performance of all students who are off track after two semesters will be reviewed by a college academic adviser. If, in the opinion of the adviser, the student could return to on-track status within one additional semester, the student will be considered for continuation in the college. Otherwise, the student should select a different major.

  • If a student fails to meet requirements to return to on track status and/or is off track after three semesters, the student must withdraw from the major. The student has the right to appeal the decision for dismissal to the dean within one week of notification. Students who withdraw from the college will be offered assistance in choosing a different major at the university.

  • Students dismissed from the college for academic reasons who believe they have remediated all college pre-application requirements by the deadline for the major have the right to apply for admission. However, dismissal from the college can be considered when making admissions decisions.

  • Regardless of the number of semesters the student is off track, if a student meets university guidelines for dismissal, that student can be dismissed consistent with university policy.

Back to Top

Juniors and Seniors: Students must receive at least a C grade in all courses required for the major, including core courses and college electives. Unsatisfactory grades, defined as grades lower than a C or grades of unsatisfactory in classes graded S-U, are grounds for probation and/or dismissal from the college.

  • If a student in the college receives one grade of D+ or lower in a college course, the student is placed on academic probation. Faculty will provide an opportunity for the student to make up material through independent study or to repeat the course. If the student receives at least a C in the course for which probation was implemented, the student will return to good academic standing. If the student receives a D+ or lower while on probation, the student must withdraw from the program unless the college determines mitigating circumstances warrant a probationary extension. (Please note: If a student receives the first and second D+ or lower in the same term, the college has the right to dismiss the student without first offering probation.)

  • If a student receives a D+ or lower in a second college course, regardless of whether this occurs in the same term or different term as the first D+ or lower, the student must withdraw from the program. However, the student has the right to petition this decision.
    In order to petition the faculty committee, the student must provide the program director with a letter stating the reasons that the student should be allowed to remediate his/her academic performance. Upon successful petition and on a space-available basis, the student will be placed on academic probation and allowed to make up material through independent study or to repeat the course in which the second unsatisfactory grade was received.
    Following completion of this course with a grade of C or higher, the student can continue in the program. However, if the student again receives a D+ or lower, the student must withdraw from the program. The college will help the student, if desired, choose another major at UF if he or she withdraws from a college major.

  • In the first two cases above, the individual instructor is responsible for assigning student grades. The program director, in consultation with the instructor and program faculty as needed, is responsible for determining if a student who appeals a dismissal will be placed on academic probation or dismissed from the program. The student will be notified in writing of the directorís decision concerning academic probation or dismissal.
    If the student is placed on academic probation, the director, instructor and student develop a contract to be signed by all three parties. The contract specifies the activities that the student must successfully complete to remedy the academic deficiencies and the timeframe in which these activities must be completed. Failure to adhere to or meet the terms of the contract constitutes grounds for dismissal from the program. The student will be offered assistance, if desired, to select a different major.

  • If the student disagrees with the directorís decision regarding dismissal or the terms of the probation contract, the student may appeal in writing within one week to the associate dean for academic affairs. The associate dean will review both the directorís decision and the studentís concerns and make a determination about academic probation/dismissal. Both the student and director have the right to further appeal to the dean, who will review the case in its entirety and make the final decision.

Back to Top

Changing Majors

Freshmen and sophomores wishing to change majors should contact a college adviser. Juniors and seniors wishing to change majors in the college must contact the program director. If a student withdraws from the major, specific permission from the program and the college must be given at the time of withdrawal for the student to be eligible to re-enter the college.

Health Policy

The college requires evidence of ability to meet the physical and academic requirements of the program. Personnel in the Department of Student Health will test each student for sensitivity to tuberculosis. The Department of Student Health will verify immunization against diphtheria, rubella (German measles) and tetanus.

All students must be immunized against Hepatitis B and varicella (chicken pox) or provide the Student Health Center with medical documentation that they have had chicken pox. All students must participate in bloodborne pathogen training, repeat their TB test annually and be HIPAA compliant.

Students registered in clinical courses must have hospitalization insurance. Full-time students are eligible for the health insurance plans sponsored by Student Government. Twelve-month coverage may be purchased at the time of registration.


Required immunizations and other expenses are the studentís responsibility. Field experience is required in rehabilitative services, and students are responsible for financing this portion of their preparation. Cost varies depending upon location of the field assignment, which can be out of state. Students are responsible for computer-related costs required for course work completion.

Back to Top