This page was designed for view with the newer family of browsers. Please pardon the unstyled format of this page.

Office of the University Registrar

2008-09 Undergraduate Catalog

Tracking Progress Toward a Degree

Universal Tracking is the University of Florida's academic monitoring system that provides students with an assessment of progress toward degree requirements. There is a recommended eight-semester plan for each major. This plan is the optimal path for completing the degree in four years.

Students' progress toward their degrees is monitored each semester to ensure that they are on track. Summer terms are not included in tracking and may be used by students to get back on track or to get ahead. Each fall and spring semester students are reminded via GatorLink email to review their degree audit on ISIS before advance registration for the next term. The audit fits a studentís courses and grades into the degree requirements for the major to show the student what is met and what the student still needs to complete.

Back to Top

What is minimum academic progress?

  • Students do not have to complete all of the recommended courses to remain on track; they simply have to meet certain minimum requirements known as critical-tracking criteria.
  • Critical-tracking criteria usually include a minimum GPA (UF or overall, depending on the college), completion of certain courses toward the major (critical-tracking or preprofessional courses) and a minimum GPA in the critical-tracking courses (tracking or preprofessional GPA). The critical tracking criteria for each major appear just before the eight-semester plan for that major; for many majors, critical-tracking courses are bolded in the semester plan. In the degree audit, critical-tracking criteria appear near the top of the audit.
  • All students admitted as freshmen are monitored for Semester 1 critical-tracking criteria, regardless of the number of hours earned by the student through dual enrollment and credit by examination.
  • An off-track student will have a hold placed on his/her registration to ensure that the student meets with an adviser to discuss his/her progress. The student must meet with an adviser before registering for the next term in order to determine what is necessary to get back on track, or to change to a more appropriate major.
  • If a student is off-track for two consecutive terms, he/she must change to a major more appropriate to the studentís goals and performance. Once the student selects a new major, he or she should contact the college offering that major to schedule an appointment with an adviser to discuss changing the major.
  • Advisers in the Academic Advising Center in 100 Farrior Hall can help students identify potential majors and can refer them to the appropriate college(s) for information about specific majors.

Back to Top

What is the purpose of monitoring a student's course work?

  • The universal tracking system provides feedback on a student's progress in a major, helping them to find the best academic path to complete their degree.

How do students stay on track for their major?

  • Students must complete the required critical-tracking courses with the necessary grades each semester. These courses also are listed by major in the catalog.

How are students notified if they are off track for their major?

  • Students will receive a hold on their registration that requires them to meet with an adviser. Students should review their holds on ISIS.

How can students find out what the tracking criteria are for other majors?

  • Explore the requirements for different majors using the degree shopping function (under Degree Audit) in ISIS.
  • Speak with an adviser in the college that offers the major or in the Academic Advising Center. Advisers help students determine what they need to do to get back on track for the current major or to identify majors more appropriate to their talents and interests.
  • View the semester-by-semester plans for each major in this catalog.

Back to Top

How does a hold affect students?

  • Holds applied before advance registration prevent students from registering until they consult an adviser to develop an academic plan to complete the critical-tracking courses for the current major or identify a more appropriate major.
  • Holds applied at the end of the semester for poor academic performance for two consecutive semesters require students to see an adviser before the next term of enrollment to select a new major and to avoid cancellation of enrollment.

How does a student change majors?

What other resources are available to help select a new major?

  • Academic Advising Center advisers can discuss the majors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, as well as in other colleges.
  • The Career Resource Center in the Reitz Union offers workshops and other assistance to find a new major.

Back to Top