UF Logo
2003 - 2004
Undergraduate Catalog

Catalog Home | Colleges | Courses | Calendars

Academic Policies and Procedures

Health & Human Performance Home | History & Overview | Policies/Procedures | Degree Requirements | Programs | Organizations

Admission Requirements
Teacher Education Programs
Combined-Degree Programs
Postbaccalaureate Students
Academic Advising
Student Responsibility
Degree Requirements

Admission Requirements

Students classified as first semester freshmen at the university will be admitted to the college when they declare a major within the B.S. degree program. At that time, their college classification will become HH.

Students maintain the HH classification as long as they meet the standards set by the college and UF for admission and universal tracking. Students who are not making satisfactory academic progress may be required to seek admission to another college or to make alternative academic plans.

Students who fall below minimum performance standards will have a registration hold placed on their record. They must meet with an adviser to determine a plan of action before the hold will be removed.

 Students Other Than Freshmen

All UF students other than first semester freshmen will be considered for admission to the college if they meet or exceed the universal tracking criteria published in the catalog. Requirements for admission vary depending on the major. Therefore, it is important to complete all requirements.

Juniors and Seniors Status

After reaching 60 hours, students who meet or exceed the 60-hour performance standards specified by the college and major department will retain their classification within the college. Juniors and seniors (3HH and 4HH) will be monitored for progress toward a degree. All students must adhere to the policies of the college and their department to retain the HH classification.

Transfer Students

For application information, all transfer students should refer to the Electronic Transfer Manual at www.isis.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/nirvana. Within space and fiscal limitations, applicants from other institutions who have satisfied minimum requirements will be considered for admission at the junior level.

Florida community college applicants to the College of Health and Human Performance must complete an Associate of Arts degree and meet all other university and college-specific requirements. Admission evaluation factors include academic record, cumulative grade point average, performance in critical tracking courses, extent to which applicant exceeds minimum requirements, and achievements as well as career goals stated in their personal statement. Students who complete pre-professional courses outside the state system (students who attend out-of-state, private, and/or international institutions) must submit course descriptions to the departmental adviser.

Teacher Education Programs

Students must take and pass all sections of the General Knowledge Test (GKT) before reaching 60 hours. A passing score on the CLAST exam will be accepted for this requirement only if taken and passed before July 2002.

Additionally, students must demonstrate competency in Floridaís 12 Accomplished Practices for Pre-Professional Teachers before being approved for graduation.

Finally, students entering the college for the first time beginning Fall 2004 or later majoring in exercise and sport sciences of health science education teacher education programs must provide evidence of a successful passing score on all pertinent sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) before graduation from a degree program.

Combined-Degree Programs

All departments in the college offer combined bachelorís and masterís degree programs. Students interested in learning more about these programs should contact the Office of Student Affairs in Room 203 Florida Gym or their individual department.

Postbaccalaureate Students

Students seeking postbaccalaureate status must meet the admission requirements for the intended program. Students may enroll as 6HH to:

  • Satisfy requirements for teacher certification.
  • Meet requirements for admission to graduate or professional school programs.

Academic Advising

Academic advising within the College of Health and Human Performance is provided by college and departmental advisers. Each major has an academic adviser. Students interested in majoring in one of the academic programs in the college should first come to the Office of Student Affairs in the Florida Gym, Room 203.

It is college policy that each student discusses his/her academic plans with an academic adviser before each registration, and at any time regarding academic and/or career counseling matters.

Freshmen and sophomores (1HH and 2HH) in any major in the college will be advised by a college academic adviser in FLG 203. All 3HH and 4HH students receive academic advising from their departmental adviser.

Student Responsibility

Each student is responsible for registering for and completing the proper courses and for fulfilling all requirements for a degree. The studentís adviser will assist and counsel, but the student must take the initiative and assume responsibility for meeting all requirements.

Course requirements for each major have been determined and approved by the departmental faculty. The studentís program of study to meet these requirements is subject to the approval of an adviser in the studentís major. Students with skill or content deficiencies may be required to take courses to remediate deficiencies.

Courses may be dropped or changed without penalty only with adviser approval.

Seniors must file an application for degree in the Office of the University Registrar no later than the deadline published in the critical dates chart (refer to Table of Contents).

Transfer or Correspondence Credit

Transfer and/or correspondence course credit may be allowed even if taken after the student has been admitted to the major. Students are discouraged from taking such courses after 60 hours unless they have secured prior approval from their department.

In general, these courses are recorded on the transcript and can be used to meet curriculum requirements if approved by the department. At least 60 credit hours at the 3000 level or higher are required in all majors.

College Probation

Students in HHP will be placed on college probation for two reasons:

  • The grade point average at the university or in the major falls below a 2.0, or
  • The student fails to follow the prescribed program for the major.

A hold will be placed on the record and continued registration will be denied. Students must meet with their academic adviser to determine a plan of action to ensure successful completion of a degree before the hold will be removed.

Drop Policy

During drop/add, courses can be dropped without penalty. After drop/add, courses may be dropped only through the collegeís petition process in accordance with university deadlines.

Before completing the 60 hours of course work, students are allowed two unrestricted drops after the close of drop/add. After 60 hours, the student also is allowed two unrestricted drops after the close of drop/add. Drops not used before completing 60 hours will carry over for use after 60 hours. Students seeking to drop all classes do not have to petition the college; dropping all classes is a withdrawal and is processed through the Dean of Students Office in 202 Peabody Hall.

Withdrawal Policy

If a student in the college withdraws from the university a second time, that student will be placed on college probation. Probation terms will be determined by the adviser working with the student.

Internship/Student Teaching

During the semester of expected graduation, all students must complete the internship or student teaching requirement. Credit hours for this requirement are included in the 120 credit hour total required for graduation.

Student internship/teaching assignments are fulfilled at various sites, in accordance with program objectives and the studentís professional goals. In addition to regular tuition expenses, students are responsible for transportation to and/or housing in the community where the student internship/teaching is to occur. Fees imposed by the internship/teaching site relating to requirements for personnel screening (e.g., fingerprinting, background checks and substance-abuse testing) are also the studentís responsibility.

Liability Insurance

All students must provide proof of or exemption from liability insurance before they begin their internship or student teaching experience.

First Aid and CPR

All students are required to have current American Red Cross First Aid and CPR (or equivalent) certification at the time of registering for a student teaching/internship.

Students pursuing the athletic training specialization must be current in CPR certification before registering for AT course work.


The student is referred to the Expenses section in this catalog. In addition, some courses require experience away from campus. For such courses, the student will need to make provisions for transportation and appropriate clothing.

Grievance Procedures

Any student in the college who feels his or her performance in a course has not been evaluated accurately should first discuss any concerns with the instructor. If the disagreement is not resolved at that level, the student should consult the departmental chair, and if still unresolved, contact the academic dean in the collegeís Office for Student Affairs.

The college is a strong supporter of the Universityís Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Program. Any student who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age or national origin should contact the collegeís Office for Student Affairs.

Degree Requirements

Successful Progress Toward a Degree

The college has identified specific performance standards to help students complete the degree requirements. Successfully meeting these standards will enable students to continue in a selected major and to graduate in a timely manner.

In those cases where the grade point average or grade in a preprofessional requirement is higher for the major or specialization than for the college, the major/specialization requirement takes precedence. Students who do not meet performance standards will have to meet with an academic adviser to determine an appropriate course of action.

Failure to meet the performance standards will result in a registration hold.

Deanís List and Graduation with Honors

The following criteria determine qualification for the Deanís List:

  • 12 credit hours exclusive of hours taken under the S-U option; 9 credit hours for disabled students or full-time credit equivalency.
  • 3.5 GPA for the term.
  • Internship and student teaching credits are excluded.

To graduate with the distinction of cum laude (honors), magna cum laude (high honors) or summa cum laude (highest honors), a student must meet the requirements below and be recommended by the college faculty.

  • The student must have completed at least 45 semester hours of credit in residence at UF. Only the junior/senior-level GPA exclusive of internship/student teaching will be considered. Credit earned through correspondence or extension courses is not included when computing grade point averages.

Cum Laude: To graduate cum laude (with honors), a student must have earned a 3.40 or higher GPA for all junior/senior-level course work.

Magna or Summa Cum Laude: Students in the college are eligible for high (magna cum laude) or highest honors (summa cum laude) by earning a 3.70 or higher GPA and completing a senior paper or creative work. The studentís supervisory committee makes the recommendation for these distinctions based upon an evaluation of this work.

Students will be notified by their academic advisers of the probability that they will have a 3.70 or higher GPA. This notification includes the requirements and process for graduating magna cum laude or summa cum laude. Information is available from the academic adviser. Post baccalaureate students are not eligible to receive honors recognition.

 Registrar | Admissions | Records & Registration | ISIS

If you need assistance with this web page click here to send email.
This page is maintained by the Office of the University Registrar.