Making the Grade

Grading Policies for Faculty

Grades and Grading Policies

Instructors are responsible for setting the grading scale in their courses. There is no standard. Instructors submit grades to the Office of the University Registrar at the end of the semester using the secure Grade-A-Gator system.

If a change of grade is needed, instructors should contact their department grade coordinator for the proper forms and procedures.

Once appropriate signatures are received, the change of grade will be submitted to the Registrar's Office for processing. Grade changes will be accepted and processed by the Office of the University Registrar for a period of one calendar year after the term in which the course was attempted. This policy does not apply to incomplete grades.

Any grade changes submitted after the deadline must be submitted to the appropriate college dean, accompanied by additional information or documentation justifying the extension. If the dean approves the exception, he or she will forward the grade change to the Registrar's Office.

I and N Grades - Incomplete and No Grade Given

An I grade should not be assigned to a student who never attended class; instead instructors may assign a failing grade or no grade at all, which will result in assignment of N*.

More Information

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S-U) Grade Option

Students must obtain approval for the S-U option and may elect the S-U option for only one course each term. Courses taken to fulfill the Writing and Math Requirement (Gordon Rule) cannot be taken S-U. Instructors can assign grades of S or U only if the course is designated S/U in the curriculum inventory (screen 214) or if the student already has been approved for the S/U Option.

More Information

E and U Grades and Financial Aid

To accommodate federal financial aid requirements to determine whether students finished a term, the Office of the University Registrar and the Office of Student Financial Affairs created four new grade options to enable the university to document the status of students who receive failing grades and to reduce the need to return federal financial aid.

The university must return financial aid funds to the federal government if:

  • UF cannot document that a student began attending all classes for which he/she was registered.
  • A student ceases to attend all classes before the end of the term.

E and U Grade Options:

  • E - Failure
  • E0 - Never attended or participated; student's transcript will display an E grade and will be computed as such in all processing
  • E1 - Stopped attending or participating prior to end of term; student's transcript will display an E grade and will be computed as such in all processing
  • U - Unsatisfactory
  • U0 - Never attended or participated; student's transcript will display a U grade and will be computed as such in all processing
  • U1 - Stopped attending or participating prior to end of term; student's transcript will display a U grade and will be computed as such in all processing

H Grades for Correspondence Courses and Degree Candidates

Now that UF correspondence study courses have been incorporated into the student records system, students enrolled in correspondence courses receive the benefits and penalties attributed to attending traditional university courses.

An H grade, which signifies a deferred grade assignment, is normally assigned at the end of a term when a specific course's class calendar differs from the traditional course calendar. Now that UF correspondence study courses are part of the student records system, H grades will also be assigned to students who have additional time left to complete their correspondence course requirements after the end of the traditional grade cycle. While H grades for traditional courses become punitive at a date determined by the college, H grades for correspondence coursework generally become punitive 32 weeks after course enrollment.

There is one exception, however: H grades received by degree candidates (for undergraduate, graduate and professional courses, and regardless of delivery mechanism) will become punitive when degree certification begins. This is similar to the process used for I grades, which become punitive (and calculated as failing grades) at degree certification. If the degree candidate then finishes a correspondence course, the H grade can be changed as long as the course is finished in a timeframe acceptable to university policies.

More Information

Posting of Student Grades

Public posting of student grades using complete social security numbers or university student identification numbers (e.g., the UFID number), or any portion thereof, violates the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Consequently, faculty should not post student grades in this manner.

For the purpose of posting grades, faculty can assign, or allow students to choose, a unique and confidential identifier (e.g., a 4-digit number) and then post grades using that number, provided that the list is posted in random, not alphabetical order. The unique identifier cannot be part of the student's social security or UFID number.

Alternatively, faculty can institute a web-based system that allows students to look-up grades. The system should be secured by GatorLink username and password. This function is available in the e-Learning course management system. Faculty using e-Learning can contact e-Learning Support Services in the Office of Academic Technology for technical assistance. Faculty using other course management systems can consult their designated technical support personnel.

Important note: Faculty cannot create websites that contain confidential student information unless this information is encrypted and password-protected.