Academic Advising
Academic Info/Regulations
Other Information

Frequently Asked Questions About Universal Tracking

  • What is universal tracking?

    Universal tracking is a degree audit system, which provides a recommended semester-by-semester enrollment plan that includes certain 'critical' courses.

    'Critical' courses must be completed with the required GPA during the semester in which they are indicated in order to be on track for the designated major.

  • What is the purpose of universal tracking?

    The purpose of universal tracking is to allow students the freedom to explore majors and to receive feedback on their progress in the major in order to find the best academic path to complete their degree.

  • How does UT help students find the best major?

    UT evaluates the students' academic progress each fall and spring term of enrollment.

    UT holds impede registration and require students to consult with an advisor prior to registering.

    Advisors assist students in finding majors appropriate to their talents and interests.

  • How can a student find out what the tracking criteria are for other majors?

    Access ISIS ( to explore the requirements for different majors.

    Speak with an adviser in the college that offers the majors.

    Speak with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center (AAC)

    View the semester-by-semester plans for each major in the college section of the undergraduate catalog.

  • How are students notified that they are off track?

    Students are notified by the Office of the University Registrar that a universal tracking hold has been placed on their academic record.

  • How does the UT hold affect students?

    UT holds prevent a student from registering without first consulting with an advisor to develop an academic plan to complete the 'critical' courses to get back on track for their major.

    UT holds applied at the end of the term for poor academic performance for two consecutive semesters require the student to see an advisor prior to the next term of enrollment to select a new major and avoid cancellation of enrollment.

  • How many terms can a student be off track for the same major?

    A student off track for two consecutive terms must see an advisor to select a more appropriate major.

  • How does a student change majors?

    Contact the advising office of the college that offers the major in which you wish to be reclassified.

  • What other resources are available to assist students in selecting a new major?

    Academic Advising Center advisers will discuss with you the various majors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as well as in other colleges.

    The Counseling Center, located in 301 Peabody Hall, 392-1575, (, has peer counselors who will help you assess your academic strengths and interests.

    The Career Resource Center located in the Reitz Union ( offers workshops or other assistance to help you find a new major.

Registrar | Admissions | Records & Registration | ISIS

If you need assistance with this web page click here to send email.
This page is maintained by the Office of the University Registrar.