This page was designed for view with the newer family of browsers. Please pardon the unstyled format of this page.

Office of the University Registrar

2005-06 Undergraduate Catalog

Academic Policies

College of Journalism and Communications

Admission to the College

Freshman Information: Students classified as first-semester freshmen at the university will be admitted to the college when they declare a major. At that time their classification will become 1JM. These students will maintain the JM classification as long as they continue to meet or exceed the universal- tracking criteria.

Students who fall below academic standards will be listed as off track for their major and will be flagged. These students must consult the advising staff in Weimer Hall, Room 1000.

Transfer Information: The College of Journalism and Communications has limited admission. All applicants will be considered on a space-available basis. A grade point average of 3.0 (on all work attempted) and 60 hours of acceptable credit are required for admission at the junior year.

To be eligible for admission, a transfer student from a Florida public community college must have an Associate of Arts degree, including all prerequisite tracking courses. Transfer students from other universities and non-Florida public community colleges should complete the first two years' requirements for the major before transferring.

Students not admitted automatically or with averages below 3.0 may petition for admission. Petitions are available from the collegeís Student Services Office, Weimer Hall, Room 1000.

Students must complete at least 64 hours at the University of Florida or other four-year institutions.

Double Major/Dual Degrees: Students who want to specialize in more than one field can earn a second bachelorís degree in this college by completing an additional 30 credits of work, with the necessary qualitative and residence requirements. Individuals who want to earn a second bachelorís degree must petition for admission to the department in which they wish to study. Journalism and Communications majors cannot double major or minor within the college. Admission priority is given to students seeking only one degree. Students who double major must select telecommunication as the primary major.

College Requirements

Typing Ability and PC Skills: All students entering the college must be able to type and operate a personal computer; laboratory assignments are completed on personal computers. Students are expected to type 20 words per minute before enrolling in MMC 2100 or RTV 2100 and 30 words per minute for selected advanced courses.

Telecommunication majors must take its equivalent, RTV 2100, Writing for Electronic Media. Entry into the broadcast news sequence is limited to students in the Department of Telecommunication who have placed in a competitive entrance exam to evaluate their writing ability. Contact the department office to determine when typing and writing tests are given. MMC 2100 is limited to ADV, JM or PUR majors, except by permission of the journalism department chair. Students who pass a proficiency exam in writing given by the college may be exempt from and earn credit for MMC 2100.

Student Responsibility: The most important fact a student can remember about academic advising is that he or she is responsible for earning a degree. While the college maintains an academic advisory service and carefully works to keep accurate student records, the student is responsible for meeting all degree requirements.

Students should read the collegeís requirements and should visit an adviser at least once each semester to review his or her progress. Computerized universal- tracking audits indicating each studentís academic progress are available online to students in the fall and spring semesters.

Transfer Credit: Students may transfer up to 60 semester hours from a community college. Hours taken over 60 may meet certain requirements but will not count toward graduation. After 60 hours, credit taken as a transient student at another university can be transferred to UF. Permission to take transfer work after a student has earned 90 credits must be received by filing a petition in Weimer Hall, Room 1000. Professional courses required for a studentís major generally cannot be taken at other schools.

Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory Option: Undergraduate students in the college may take no courses designated ADV, JOU, MMC, PUR or RTV under the Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory (S-U) option, except courses which are offered only for an S-U grade.

Students are permitted to take elective courses outside the college on an S-U basis, subject to university rules published in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog.

Once the S-U option is approved, students may not elect to convert to a letter-grade. Writing and Math Requirement courses may not be taken S-U.

Courses for outside concentration credit may be taken S-U with the following restrictions (in addition to university restrictions):

  • The option may not be applied to any course below the 3000 level.
  • Not more than three credits of S-U work may be taken to fulfill the outside concentration requirement.
  • No beginning-level course may be offered for outside concentration credit under S-U.
  • Refer to the university calendar for deadlines to apply for the S-U option.

Probation and Suspension: A student will be placed on college probation if he or she fails to maintain a 2.0 overall average and a 2.0 professional average. A student will be flagged if either or both of these averages fall below a 2.0 GPA for two consecutive terms. Students on college suspension must successfully petition their department for reinstatement.

Dropping Courses: Petitions to drop courses beyond the first two will be approved only when circumstances beyond the studentís control prevent the satisfactory completion of a course.

In all cases, students must file the petition with the Student Services Office, Weimer Hall, Room 1000. All petitions must be submitted before the deadline. After these dates, all petitions are processed through the Faculty Senate Committee on Student Petitions in Criser Hall, Room 222.

Correspondence Study: No student enrolled in this college can receive credit for a required professional course in the major through correspondence study.

Foreign Language Proficiency or Quantitative Option Requirement: This requirement may be satisfied by demonstrating proficiency or completing college-level credits in a single foreign language. Students who elect the foreign language option may meet the requirement by successfully completing the second or third beginning-level course in one foreign language.

This is not a credit hour requirement, but a proficiency requirement. The requirement may be met by earning a grade of C or better or a grade of S.

Students who transfer fewer than 10 semester hours in one foreign language to the university should contact the foreign language departments (Romance Languages, Dauer Hall, Room 170; Germanic and Slavic Languages, Dauer Hall, Room 261) immediately to take the placement exam. The exam either places the student into the correct course in the sequence or out of the requirement. In either case, students do not receive college credit for performance on the placement exam.

Students who place out of the requirement must be sure to have a letter of proficiency sent to the Student Services Office, Weimer Hall, Room 1000.


To meet the quantitative option, take any three of the following courses: ACG 2021C, ACG 2071, STA 2023, STA 3024, STA 4222, CGS 2420, CGS 2531, CEN 3534, CGS 3063, CGS 3066, CGS 3403, or CGS 3460.

Statistics and computer courses listed under the quantitative option can apply three hours toward the General Education mathematical sciences requirement.

Courses used for the quantitative option cannot be taken for S-U grades.


Complete two college semesters of American Sign Language.

Outside Concentration: A portion of the studentís required 80 credit hours from outside the college must constitute an outside concentration.

The outside concentration for the college is 12 hours in one academic department or an approved area of study, as recommended by the department to meet specific career goals. In either option, nine of the 12 hours must be at the 3000 level or above, unless they are prerequisites. Courses used to fulfill the outside concentration cannot be used to meet other requirements.

Professional Limit: The college stresses a broad background in liberal arts and sciences. The student spends about two-thirds of his or her time on general background courses. The remaining one-third involves the development of professional techniques in relation to this background knowledge.

Because the college insists on this broad background of General Education, the number of professional credits applied toward graduation is limited. The college permits 44 professional credits (ADV, JOU, MMC, PUR and RTV) to be applied toward graduation.

Professional courses as defined by the college and accepted by transfer are counted toward the 44 total credits. A student must earn a minimum of 80 hours of non-college courses as part of the 124 hours required (65 semester hours must be in liberal arts and sciences.) Students can apply no more than six hours of activity courses in the Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology.

Deanís List

Students cannot qualify for dean's list if they have grades of I, N or U. Certificates of recognition are issued by request from the Student Services office in 1000 Weimer.