The Petition Process

The petitions process is available for students to request a waiver of a university academic regulation or academic deadline. A university petition is used to request:

  • late add a course after the add/drop deadline,
  • withdraw from select courses after the withdrawal deadline (nonmedical),
  • withdraw from all courses in a term (nonmedical),
  • refund of fees (fee refund requests must be submitted within 6 months of the close of the applicable semester), or
  • other requests.

Submitting a Petition

  • Carefully follow the instructions on the University Petition Form. Students should attach a one-page typed statement in 12 pt. font outlining the pertinent issues that led to the petition. All submitted documentation is subject to verification. Submission of false, forged or fraudulent information will result in judicial sanction.
  • Students who are petitioning to drop, add or receive a refund should submit the Instructor Statement Form. Students complete the top portion of the form, and the faculty member or instructor completes the bottom of the form. If the instructor is no longer at UF, the department chair may complete the forms.
  • Complete the required interview with your college regarding the nature of your petition. Your college will provide a signed statement for your petition using the Interviewing Officer Statement Form. You may be able to arrange a phone interview if you no longer live in the area.
  • Submit all forms and the supporting documentation at one time to the Office of the University Registrar via the secure document upload.
  • Remember to keep a copy! The documents you submit will remain permanently on file with the university; they will not be returned. Keep a copy for your files.

NOTE: If petitioning for a waiver of the Repeat Course Surcharge for financial hardship, the instructor statement and interviewing officer forms are not necessary. However, students must provide financial documentation proving an unmet or outstanding financial need, such as UF SFA's Student Financial Statement.

Excess Hours Petition

Florida law is very specific about what courses are included in your excess credit counter. Students who are expected to pay an excess hours surcharge can petition if they believe their excess hours should be exempted. A petition, or appeal, of the initial counter determination must be received by the end of a student’s first term at UF. Appeals of credit hours added to the counter after enrollment must be submitted within six months of the course being taken.

These circumstances are considered acceptable basis for appeals under Florida Law:

  • College credit earned through articulated accelerated mechanisms such as AP, IB, CLEP, dual enrollment, national standardized tests
  • College credit earned through articulated accelerated mechanisms such as AP, IB, CLEP, dual enrollment, national standardized tests
  • Credit hours required for certification, recertification, or certificate programs not used in the student's degree program
  • Courses from which the student withdraws for reasons of medical or personal hardship
  • Credit taken by active-duty military personnel
  • Credit hours taken to achieve a dual major while pursuing a baccalaureate degree
  • Remedial and English-as-a-second-language credit hours
  • Credit hours earned while participating in a Reserve Officer's Training Corps (ROTC) program.

The Approval Process

The University Student Petitions Committee meets each Tuesday. Submit your petition forms and supporting documentation by 5:00 p.m. the previous Friday. Due to the large number of requests, it may take 1-2 weeks before your petition is reviewed.

Petitions are generally approved for these reasons:

  • A university error has occurred on a student’s record; e.g., incorrect advice from a university official, administrative error, etc.
  • A student has experienced extenuating circumstances that prevented the successful completion of the semester.

If a student requests to drop one (or more) course(s) in a semester because of extenuating circumstances, yet wishes to keep other courses in that same semester, the student must address specifically why only the selected course(s) were affected by the extenuating circumstances to alleviate a denial.

Petition Status & Results

Students can find petition status and outcome at ONE.UF.

The University of Florida does not practice grade forgiveness, and the petitions process cannot be used as a form of grade forgiveness. Therefore, if the committee determines that you earned the grade or grades in question, your petition will not be approved.

If your petition is denied and you want to continue to pursue the petition, you may appeal the decision to the University Ombuds.