Visiting Students

Visiting students, sometimes referred to as transient students and/or non-degree students, are those who are currently enrolled as degree-seeking students at another institution but who wish to take courses for a term at UF to transfer back to their home institution.

Visiting students may include students attending State University System (SUS), Florida College System (FCS) institutions, private Florida institution, out-of-state institution, students registering for UF's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences' Shared Language Program, individuals registering for special programs sponsored by UF, or individuals wishing to expand their academic background through graded or audited coursework, or teacher certification through the UF College of Education.

All visiting students to UF are considered non-degree seeking at the University of Florida and register on a space-available basis, which is fall (100% online sections only), spring (100% online sections only), summer terms A, B and C (online or on campus sections).

Visiting Student Application Categories

Non-DegreeFlorida Shines
Private Florida Institution StudentsState University System Students
Out-of-state institution StudentsFlorida College System Students
Individuals registering for special programs sponsored by UFUF CLAS Shared Language Program
Individuals wishing to expand their academic background
Teacher certification through the UF College of Education
Auditing as a Non-UF Student
Auditing as a Florida Resident Age 60+

UF Students Attending Other Schools

UF students who wish to attend another State University System or Florida College System institution should apply online at FloridaShines. Applications completed via FloridaShines are referred to the student's UF advisor and the Office of the University Registrar within 3-5 business days.

UF students who wish to attend a private Florida college or an out-of-state institution should utilize the Transient Student Form. Once this form has been completed by both student and advisor, it should be uploaded by the student to the UF Registrar's Office via the secure document upload.

Students who have financial aid or scholarships, should submit a copy of the completed Transient Student Form to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (Financial Aid) to determine if their scholarship or financial aid can be used at the other school.

Upon completion of classes, UF regulations require that students request an official copy of their transcript from their visiting institution be sent to

University of Florida, Transfer Credit Evaluation
PO Box 114000
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000

Students may ask that the transcript be sent electronically if the other Florida institution participates in the electronic transfer program.

Using Transferology to Find Replacement Credits

To determine if a transient course is equivalent to course at the University of Florida, current UF students may create a free account with Transferology to find replacement courses at other institutions. Since the student’s UF college determines how transfer credits apply to a specific UF degree audit, students should receive approval from their academic advisor prior to enrolling in the course.


• Select the “Find a Replacement Course” tab. This is on the right side of the screen.

• Enter University of Florida and the term in which you wish to take the course/s.

• Enter the course prefix and select the desired course/s.

• Click "Search for Matches" button.